I’m one month into my decluttering journey and I thought I’d write down how much I’ve accomplished in the past thirty days.
Total Items out of the house: 160
Breakdown of items:
- 26 combs, brushes, clips, plugs
- 25 Halloween costume pieces
- 20 key chains
- 17 magazines
- 16 duplicate books
- 14 pairs of socks
- 10 stuffed animals
- 8 cell phone charms
- 6 bags of clothes including my old favourite pair of jeans
- 3 bathroom joke books
- 3 other books (I’ve set aside dozens of books to donate from the 553 in my room, but I haven’t taken them out of the house yet)
- 2 old cell phones
- 2 cucumber eye packs
- 2 dvds
- 1 stack of Kumon worksheets
- 1 shoebox of 5 years of receipts
- 1 shoebox box of cutlery
- 1 bag of frozen bananas
- 1 fan
- 1 kabocha
Considering my goal was 30 items (1 item a day), I’d say it’s going pretty well so far. It’s actually more than 160 if you count the individual items of clothing and cutlery, but I just stuffed them in boxes and bags and didn’t count them.
I know I said this after the big CP pickup, but even though I’ve gotten rid of so many items, it’s hardly made a dent inside the house. It is, however, a little better, so I’m encouraged to keep chipping away at piles of clutter.
I do expect decluttering to become more difficult though as time goes by. It’s easy to get rid of things I consider to be useless or garbage, but one day all the “garbage” will be gone and I’ll start reducing the things I think have real value, be it sentimental or actual. That won’t be so easy.